7/01/2016

Internship Week 2

On Sunday, I didn’t do too much because I was so exhausted from the day trip yesterday. I woke up around 10:30am, ate breakfast, updated the blog, and went through the pictures my friends and I took. Then I went to the gym and ran on the treadmill. Afterwards, I cooked some food, ate, showered, and watched the Ireland vs. France soccer game. Ireland lost 2-1, but it was still a good game. Then I ate dinner, did some laundry, and went to bed.

On Monday, I got to work early to have breakfast and had the same croissant with ham and cheese, a piece of bacon, a piece of sausage, a hash brown, mixed berry yogurt, and apple juice. I spent my morning finishing up the project I was working on Thursday, so I went through the rest of the files in the cabinet and matched them up with the ones in the dataset. Then I went to lunch, and after lunch, I sorted all the files in the cabinet into ten different boxes and entered which files and accounts were in which box into Excel. Then I headed home at 5pm and once I was home, I ate dinner, relaxed, and went to bed early because there was a breakfast meeting the next morning at 8am at a different Bank of Ireland.

On Tuesday, I woke up at 5:45am, showered and took the 7:20am bus to the Bank of Ireland on Mespil Road. It was a very short bus ride, and we arrived 10 minutes early. There were 40 of us in total, and we headed to the 5th floor conference rooms where the meeting was being held. The place settings and table were very formal, and there was a buffet style breakfast with bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, tomatoes, and mushrooms. There was coffee, tea, and toast at each table, and there was also orange juice. The breakfast was great, and we were done eating by 8:30am. Then the Chief Financial Officer, Andrew Keating talked to us about the Bank of Ireland and his role. A few of his colleagues/other employees of the bank attended, and they each gave a brief description of themselves and what they do as well. We were also told that the bank was going to get us tickets to a Gaelic football game in Croke Park stadium on July 17, so I am excited for that. The meeting ended at 10am, and we got back to our location at 11am. Then Ariana and I were introduced to a new project we will be working on the rest of this week and next week called Project ***. Our job is to input data from an Excel spreadsheet into the Bank of Ireland's internal account information system. The project is a bit tedious, but it needs to be done and I'm glad I'm making a good contribution to the department. 

On Wednesday, I woke up at 7am and got to work early again to have breakfast. It was raining this morning, so the walk from the bus stop wasn't very enjoyable. During the four hours before lunch, Ariana and I continued working on Project ***. Then we went to lunch, and I had fish with vegetables. After lunch, we spent some time with the Collections Strategies unit. They explained what their role is, and we had a chance to sit in on an informal meeting about e Signatures because the bank may implement it into their system for faster transactions. Afterwards, we continued working on Project *** and stayed at work an extra 20 minutes because we were attending a play at the Abbey Theatre at 7pm so we had two hours and it wasn't enough time to go home first. We got dinner at an Italian restaurant called Milano where we each had a pizza and had calamari for an appetizer. The pizza was very good, and Ariana had a coupon for 30% off so our bill was about 22 euros. After paying, we headed to the theatre and got there early. Our seating were far back, but the theatre was small, so any seat was still a good view. The play was called The Walk by Tom Murphy. Most people, including me, didn't like the play. However, it was a free cultural event, so I'm still glad I went. It started at 7:30pm, and it lasted 3 hours. I got home around 11:30pm, showered, and went to bed. 

On Thursday, I woke up at 7am and had breakfast at work as usual. At work, I continued working on Project *** the entire day. However, we left at 4:30pm because we were invited to a Bank of Ireland Branch located at the Grand Canal Square for an event at 5pm. This branch was very new and has only been open for a year and a half. It was very innovative and very up-to-date with the technology. When we got there, there was wine, beer, soda, and juice for us, and they explained more about the branch. They provide the space to help start up companies have a space to network and for people to talk about their products. After giving us a tour of the small branch, they explained why they brought us in; they wanted us to help them solve a problem of how to better connect with their customers, specifically the ones that commute to Dublin for work. We gave our thoughts, and then we had Dominoes pizza. After the event was over, we headed to the bus back to campus and got back around 7:10pm. At 9pm, I met up with Ariana, Lisa, Amelie, Aspen, and Sam to go out to a bar/club called Howl at the Moon. They had a special deal on Thursdays where all drinks are 2.50 euros. We headed out at around 10pm and got back by 1am. It was pretty crowded and lively, and I would definitely go back.


 Breakfast Meeting on Tuesday


 Abbey Theatre





No comments:

Post a Comment